Re: Teach SELECT DISTINCT first!

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:35:07 -0400

I'm thinking about opitimization at a much, much lower level than you are.

Basically, given an SQL statement, and a state of the database, develop a tree of strategies
that will perform the statement and deliver equivalent results. Pick the one with the probable lowest "cost".

The only optimizers I've relied on are the ones in DEC Rdb and the CBO in Oracle RDBMS.
Neither of them address the issues you raise. Received on Wed Apr 28 2004 - 07:35:07 CDT