Re: VIEWS compared to Nodes as Windows into data

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:24:02 -0400

> This one always sounds like COBOL and card-columns to me - how often is it
> really, really a limit on a value that it be restricted in number of
> columns, unless this is a for-computer-purposes "code field" of some sort?
> Ah well -- some folks like more restrictions rather than fewer and this
> certainly helps clamp down on those users insisting on putting entire
values
> into their forms.

It depends. Sometimes it's worthwhile to have specific column limits on data for purposes that are quite legitimate.

For example, I've seen address mailing systems, (including BANNER), where the limits on various fields that make up an address are very carefully built so that the entire address will fit on a single address label. That may seem like a trivial issue to you... unless you've ever dealt with a situation where the addresses can't be printed on a label.

> I'm using the same def as you -- the end-users of the database are both
> application software developers and their users. But, with PICK, the
> end-users could easily be non-IT professionals since the language is
really
> very easy to use.

Well, in a former lifetime, we could let the data analysts and programmers use SQL, while
the end users used Datatrieve. (I know, I know, you don't like Datatrieve. Whatever!) Received on Tue Apr 27 2004 - 21:24:02 CEST

Original text of this message