As We May Think

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:02:48 -0400

The topic of the history of ideas in computing has been coming up in other threads. I'm starting to get interested in this topic, myself.

No history of computing or of databases or of the web would be complete without "As We May Think", an article in Atlantic Monthly in 1945, written by Vannevar Bush. It's startling to me how close the description comes to several things that have been developed over the last 60 years. Of course, it's off in some ways, but that just adds to the fun.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/flashbks/computer/bushf.htm Received on Tue Apr 27 2004 - 08:02:48 CDT