Re: Pre-relational, post-relational, 1968 CODASYL "Survey of Data Base Systems"

From: Ken North <knorth2_at_deletethis.yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:04:01 -0700

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:c6hv7v$nkn$1_at_news.netins.net...

> Ah, it just hit me that your statement about the minicomputers and such were
> that my statement sounded like there was some network of computers with
> clients IN Viet Nam.

The computers were pretty big in the 60s. No small units carried a computer into the field, although there had actually been some IBM 360 mainframes packaged in vans by the Army.

When Motorola Labs, for example, was working on the first generation of GPS receivers, it was the mid-70s. That early software was developed for the DEC LSI-11, a 16-bit microcomputer. The smallest GPS unit was one that required a  soldier to carry it in a pack on his back.

By the mid-70s, there were PDP-11/45s running in vans. The Army had plans to put GIM II on PDP 11s in vans, but the issue was disk capacity. An RK05 disk held only 2.5 megabytes.

The first time I saw a larger hard disk on a PDP 11 in a van was about 1979. Received on Tue Apr 27 2004 - 09:04:01 CEST

Original text of this message