Re: Pre-relational, post-relational, 1968 CODASYL "Survey of Data Base Systems"

From: Daniel Dittmar <daniel_at_dittmar.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:09:05 +0200

Leandro Guimar√£es Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:

>>As I recall, ADABAS was a very interesting product.

> Today it is still alive, and it is the origin of SAPdb, now
> renamed MaxDB to be sold by MySQL AG as the big brother of its
> namesake, substandard product...

Not true. Software AG, the makers of Adabas, bought the database DDB/4 from Siemens Nixdorf to have something for the Unix/SQL market. They renamed it first to Entire SQl, later to Adabas D. It is not related in any way to the original Adabas. Adabas D then became SAP DB and MaxDB.

Daniel Received on Mon Apr 26 2004 - 14:09:05 CDT