Re: Pre-relational, post-relational, 1968 CODASYL "Survey of Data Base Systems"

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:21:23 -0500

"Ken North" <knorth2_at_deletethis.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c6ht9e$ent$1_at_ngspool-d02.news.aol.com...
> Additional comments about GIM/Pick database history that you posted in
another
> newsgroup:
>
> << It was written at TRW in order to make it so that the military in Viet
Nam
> could query their data without technical folks in the field.
>
> GIRLS (1961) and GIM (1965) were developed before minicomputers and
> microcomputers were available. GIM-I ran on IBM mainframes. The IBM
mainframes
> in use in Vietnam and Thailand were not running GIM during the Vietnam
War.

Ah, it just hit me that your statement about the minicomputers and such were that my statement sounded like there was some network of computers with clients IN Viet Nam. I don't actually know where the folks were who were supposed to do the Cheyenne helicopter parts queries for the Viet Nam "conflict" (I have some recollection of something about Fort something-or-other in Indiana). More clearly I coud have said "the military, who were in a conflict in Viet Nam, wanted to have non-computer professionals query for parts needed in the field" or something like that.

Thanks. --dawn Received on Mon Apr 26 2004 - 05:21:23 CEST

Original text of this message