Re: Pre-relational, post-relational, 1968 CODASYL "Survey of Data Base Systems"

From: Ken North <knorth2_at_deletethis.yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:29:44 -0700

Try this page for a history of databases, including the 50s and 60s: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North/db_hall.htm

> I haven't tracked ADABAS to its origins, but might that be somewhere in the
pre-relational?

adabas was one of the DBMSs that complied with the CODASYL (network model) database standard. You can probably find the history at the Software AG web site.

The 1968 survey was done in the formative years before the CODASYL DBTG published its standard.

When there's time, I'll dig out the proceeedings of a comparative DBMS symposium we did in 1974. adabas was one of the systems presented at that symposium. Received on Mon Apr 26 2004 - 02:29:44 CEST

Original text of this message