Re: The Network Data Model

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 21:03:45 +0200

Leandro Guimar√£es Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:

> Laconic2 escreveu:

>>It seems clear that the CODASYL DBTG was
>>working on "the network model" throughout its task, starting in 1969.
>>Whether they called it that, or something else, I don't know.
>>But it's clear that they were arriving at a model, not an individual
>>implementation.
>
> 	It was an implementation of a language, not of a DBMS.  Do you
> have any reference (online if possible) to them having a data model in
> their collective minds?

Ha! I found my "Database reports 1981" :-)

In describing, *not* implementing, their language(s), the DBTG provided a system architecture and a "conceptual framework" for the types of representable data structures: sequential, trees and networks.

Assuming that the term "model" was not fashionable at that time (I could be wrong), we have to establish with hindsight wether what they provided constitutes what we now would call a model.

What would? Received on Sat Apr 24 2004 - 14:03:45 CDT