Re: Pizza Example

From: Anthony W. Youngman <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 15:21:48 +0100

In message <408a6adc.400025_at_news.wanadoo.es>, Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es> writes
>On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:41:27 -0400, "Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>The ER model was such a thing when I first started working with databases.
>>Most of the existing databases were built on the Network (CODASYL) model,
>>and many of the new databases were to be built on the relational model. It
>>turns out that, if you have a good ER model of the data requirements, this
>>"common model" can be turned into either a CODASYL model or a Relational
>>model, as you choose.
>
>But if you have an ER model you don't have a database design. The
>modeling capabilities of the ER model are very very poor and it leads
>to poor relational database designs.

If it's an easy transform from ER to relational, then ER cannot be poorer than the relational equivalent - indeed, it seems it is a richer design.

>You can not turn a relational database design in a ER model in almost
>all cases.

Yes it is a richer design, if you then can't go back the other way.

>Regards
> Alfredo

Cheers,
Wol