Re: Oracle and PICK

From: Anthony W. Youngman <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:28:15 +0100

In message <eNadnRec6pMBMhzdRVn-jw_at_comcast.com>, Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net> writes
>> in my experience, at times the relational model has been more appropriate
>> and held a lower TCO than the MV (MultiValue or "Pick") model. In most
>obviously have their
>> place and, when utilized to the advantages and strengths of each, they
>have
>> and will continue to work well and will provide a low TCO. In some
>> instances, the relational model is appropriate. The same goes for the MV
>> model.
>
>Agreed.
>
>As I said, market share is far from conclusive. And it's presumptuous to
>think, without further evidence, that either the ones who chose PICK or
>the ones who chose Oracle made a mistake. It sounds like, in some cases,
>you have the further evidence. But I'd generalize, and say that, in most
>cases, most customers know what they are doing.

Yes. Empire building?

>I just object to the argument that Oracle's market success is irrelevant to
>the TCO of the product.

Success doesn't always bear any resemblance to cost.

Initial adoption often depends on cost. Were the big databases of the 60s available for free to Universities? Don't forget that Ingres (a major database player in the past) was free because it was written by a University.

It was cheap to "buy" and play with. It became popular. Note the "play with" - people didn't realise what the hidden costs were because they were paid for out of their spare time that they were happy to give. Now companies have to actually pay those costs with real money.

I make no comment as to what those hidden costs were - I just point out that popularity and cost are often linked in surprising ways that have more to do with human nature than with money. Did I say "Empire building"?

Cheers,
Wol

as Lies-to-People.