Re: Oracle and PICK

From: Anthony W. Youngman <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:14:27 +0100

In message <3r2hc.172867$K91.437350_at_attbi_s02>, Bill H <wphaskett_at_THISISMUNGEDatt.net> writes
>Unlike other RDBMS products, pick-like applications control the dbms, not
>the other way around. I always look at an RDBMS like the students in a
>religious school: uniforms, clean, sitting up straight, saying "yes
>sir/mam", doing the work quietly, etc. I see a pick-like dbms as a public
>high school, where everyone wears different clothes, draws grafitti on the
>lockers, smokes out back by the auto shop, talks in class, etc. In order to
>learn, the student _must_ provide the structure to succeed. The same is
>true in a pick-like environment; the application developer must provide the
>structure. All the same tools are there, as they are in an RDBMS, but they
>just aren't required by the database.

Okay, this is now the UK so my terminology may be strange, but a *good* comprehensive (your public high) will ALWAYS get better top results than a grammar school, while a *bad* comprehensive will get worse results than a secondary modern (a school for grammar school rejects - that's unfair but that's what they were perceived as).

In other words, sticking with the analogy, I'd say a good Pick shop will outperform a good Oracle shop. But a crap Oracle shop will outperform a crap Pick shop - the restrictions of Oracle hamper both the genius in his search of perfection and the idiot in his search for crap :-)

Cheers,
Wol

as Lies-to-People.