Re: Oracle and PICK

From: Anthony W. Youngman <>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 12:35:31 +0100

In message <>, Tony <> writes
>"Nick" <> wrote in message
>> Ok,
>> Define an Order Header and the Order Items in that table, please.
>You know that I know that you know that I would now provide you with 2
>create table statements. And I know that you know that I know that
>you would then say that was a Bad Thing. Etc. etc. etc.
>All we need then is for Wol to come along and claim that now I have
>mysteriously "scattered" the 2 entities Order and Order Line across 2
>separate tables, there is no way the DBMS can put them together again!
>Perhaps it's best that I just don't bother ;-)

Actually, I wouldn't. I would just ask "how many items of information do you need to access data in the table? The answer is two - row-key and column-name - therefore the table is two-dimensional.

Oh - and the question was "how do you describe a three-dimensional thing". So you chose to represent a point. I'm not sure how many dimensions that has but it ain't three! Nor is it two because that's a line. I suspect it's zero-dimensional.

Hm! You need two dimensions to represent a zero-dimensional object! By my maths that makes you need infinity dimensions in order to represent three! :-)

as Lies-to-People.