Re: Mazes, trees, and forests

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 01:41:02 +0200

x wrote:

> Why do you consider only the foreign-keys of R1 ?

Following the forestify algorithm eventually all foreign keys will get their turn.

> A user can connect any two relations on any two attributes of compatible
> types.

Sure, and by expanding along those lines every user can build his own forest.

> Do you consider only the base relations or any relation ? ;-)

Well, I did. With 'any relation': you mean every conceivable relation on a base?

> How can someone (other than the user) predict for what pairs of attributes
> the join of two relations make sense ?

Why would anyone *want* to predict that? Sensible types help, but beyond that ... could you clarify how this impacts the suspicions I mentioned in the first posts?

> This is why a relational DBMS is different from other types of DBMSs.

Do you mean to imply that with 'other types of DBMS' (historic I assume) can't connect as they please? I must be misreading you. Received on Sat Apr 24 2004 - 01:41:02 CEST

Original text of this message