Re: Relational vs. PICK/Object DBMS

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:08:20 -0500

> > Now take two ways of approaching this -- with epsilon-delta proofs in
"real
> > analysis" and using infinitesimals in "non-standard analysis". It is
> > completely legit to ask folks using either approach to "solve this
problem"
> > (of proving continuity).
>
> After non-standard analysis was invented in the 60s there was enough
> excitement to launch some experimental programs teaching non-standard
> analysis as a first calculus course. Today the fad is over, how many
> schools are offering non-standard analysis for undergraduates?
>
> That's said, the parallel between Pick and non-standard analysis is
> completely bogus.
<snip>
It is not "bogus" but completely missing -- I agree! My analogy was related to the fact that you need to start with a problem statement that is neutral with respect to the ways of solving the problem. So, I would like to address the original question of this thread, but the statement of the problem is a relational statement. Once it is solution-independent, then OO, PICK and other professionals can take and run with it.

Make sense? Cheers! --dawn Received on Fri Apr 23 2004 - 15:08:20 CEST

Original text of this message