Re: Oracle and PICK

From: daveb <davebest_at_nospamusa.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:41:43 -0700

"Dale Benedict" <dalebnospam_at_spamnotwantedflightcraft.ca> wrote in message news:SeChc.4$P72.0_at_edtnps84...

> I'm back for some education and I hope that you or others may help.
>
> I have searched on the web regarding Oracle's clustering as it pertains to
> data records, and only found a few things that confused me. (that aint
too
> hard ;^) )
>
> Does the clustering actual put header and detail information into the same
> physical record on disk

Yes. From Tom Kyte's _expert one-on-one Oracle_: "Clustered tables give you the ability to physically 'pre-join' data together. You use clusters to store related data from many tables on the same database block. Clusters can help read intensive operations that always join data together or access related sets of data."

A database block is one or a few disk sectors (i.e. the unit of a physical disk read operation), whatever is most efficient for the hardware/OS combination. Received on Thu Apr 22 2004 - 01:41:43 CEST

Original text of this message