Re: Oracle and PICK

From: Dale Benedict <dalebnospam_at_spamnotwantedflightcraft.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:05:38 GMT

"Tony" <andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk> wrote in message news:c0e3f26e.0404200136.40256f5f_at_posting.google.com... > "Dale Benedict" <dalebnospam_at_spamnotwantedflightcraft.ca> wrote in message news:<RMZgc.51742$aD.38523_at_edtnps89>...
> > "Tony" <andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk> wrote in message
> > > ross_at_stamina.com.au (Ross Ferris) wrote in message
> > >
> > > This is logical/physical confusion. The fact that invoice headers and
> > > lines logically reside in 2 separate tables does not mean that they
> > > may not physically reside together on disk for performance reasons.
> > > Oracle, for example, allows 2 or more tables to be physically
> > > "clustered" together by key values.
> >
> > I think you missed something here. Within Pick it is possible to have
the
> > all header and all detail lines reside in the same physical record on
disk!

> Not at all.  My point was that in Oracle (for example), you can have
> the header and all its detail lines reside in the same physical record
> on disk too!  That is what clustering is for.

Tony,

I'm back for some education and I hope that you or others may help.

I have searched on the web regarding Oracle's clustering as it pertains to data records, and only found a few things that confused me. (that aint too hard ;^) )

Does the clustering actual put header and detail information into the same physical record on disk, or does it offer a way of automatically linking the header and detail line items so that in when you ask for the header record the detail lines get read at the same time?

Or is clustering have something to do with the indexing and arrangement of detail lines on the disk?

I have worked with Pick for some 20 years and know the power of the way Pick handles multi-values. I have worked with dbase like databases in the past and found that the relational rules etc handy, but too many cross-reference tables were required, as compared to Pick, to allow a good size database to work.

Best regards,

Dale Received on Thu Apr 22 2004 - 00:05:38 CEST

Original text of this message