Re: Date's First Great Blunder

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:54:30 -0500

"D Guntermann" <guntermann_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:HwHo09.Jns_at_news.boeing.com...

> "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message
> > "Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > I expect that, if you dig deep enough, you'll find that the terms
> > > "hierarchical data model" and "network data model" predate the
> > relational
> > > data model.
> > >
> > > These are just two places to start the search.
> >
> > I've searched -- I haven't found them. My assessment is that there
> > certainly could have been a person who uttered the words "hierarchical
> > database" when talking about IMS prior to 1970, but so far I have not
> found
> > anything in writing referring to hierarchical or network database prior
> > Codd's 1970 ACM paper.
>
> How about these?
>

> Robert E. Bleier, Treating hierarchical data structures in the SDC
> Time-Shared Data Management System (TDMS), Proceedings of the 1967 22nd
> national conference, p.41-49, January 1967, Washington, D.C., United
States

Yes, I saw this one -- it is still not a classification for "hierarchical databases" but this is one place where the word hierarchical is used prior to 1970.

> Information Management System/360, Application Description Manual
> H20-0524-1. IBM Corp., White Plains, N. Y., July 1968.

Codd was at IBM working on his relational research at that point in time, and it is possible that the characterizations/classifications would have already been in the IBM lingo from that work, but yes, good find!

> CODASYL, "Data Base Task Group Report," ACM, New York City, October 1969.
I'll take a look.

> Henry, W.R. (1969). Hierarchical structure for data management. IBM
> Systems Journal 8:(1). p. 2 - . [Online]. Available at:
> http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/081/ibmsj0801B.pdf

Yes -- again IBM. Thanks! --dawn Received on Wed Apr 21 2004 - 00:54:30 CEST

Original text of this message