Re: Total Cost of Ownership

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:32:09 -0500

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:MPydnVqDp5alkBjd4p2dnA_at_comcast.com...
> Your summary is very helpful. It places PICK in context for me.
Everything
> you said is important, but I want to particularly key in on two things
you
> said:
>
> First, that those who know the business were writing the application. I
> believe this is the key to success. Knowing the enterprise is at the
heart
> of the matter. I don't care which tools you are using, from files and
> COBOL to OO and Java.
>
> Second, that the application has a long life span. This is evolution
rather
> than revolution. Revolutions often throw the baby out with the bath.
>
> What all of this suggests to me is that, if you want to find out where
PICK
> gains its following, you should look at how it presents data, instead of
> looking at how it stores data.

Not quite -- I think that the fact that PICK gives the original developer as well as all subsequent developers enough rope to hang themselves, also gives them the freedom to do their jobs. So, it might also be the partitioning of software applications or lack thereof that yields the higher TCO. Whatever it is, I don't think it is simply the presentation of the data that gets at the heart of the matter, although that is definitely one important aspect of it.

--dawn Received on Tue Apr 20 2004 - 15:32:09 CEST

Original text of this message