Re: Date's First Great Blunder

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:20:24 -0500

"Laconic2" <> wrote in message
> I expect that, if you dig deep enough, you'll find that the terms
> "hierarchical data model" and "network data model" predate the
> data model.
> These are just two places to start the search.

I've searched -- I haven't found them. My assessment is that there certainly could have been a person who uttered the words "hierarchical database" when talking about IMS prior to 1970, but so far I have not found anything in writing referring to hierarchical or network database prior to Codd's 1970 ACM paper. I suspect it is historically accurate that relational theorists coined these terms or at least standardized on them for discussions of why relational was a better strategy. If someone has evidence to the contrary, I'm very interested.

--dawn Received on Tue Apr 20 2004 - 15:20:24 CEST

Original text of this message