Re: Date's First Great Blunder

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2004 22:01:49 -0700

> > Newtonian Mechanics is mathematics. It's consistent.
> > Unfortunately, it doesn't tally with reality :-(
>
> Ah yes, Newtonian Mechanics - what a failure that was! Any attempt to
> use that in the real world is doomed to failure. No wonder they don't
> teach that old rubbish in schools these days ;-)

You missed the point. The point was that just because a model is consistent doesn't mean it is the correct model of reality and not that the model isn't accurate enough for practical purposes within a certain scope.

> On the other hand, to quote Wikipedia: "Classical mechanics produces
> very accurate results within the domain of everyday experience.

No one is arguing that Classical Mechanics isn't accurate enough for the scope of a human's typical everday experience. You missed the point.

> In other words, it DOES tally with reality except in esoteric domains
> outside the realm of everyday life.

Excuse me but it is a human's perception of everyday life that is ESOTERIC (in the scope of the universe or do you perceive that the universe revolves around you :) Received on Tue Apr 20 2004 - 07:01:49 CEST

Original text of this message