Re: why do you apply undo before redo?

From: Wayne Warren <wwarren_at_MANGLEbirdstep.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:24:06 GMT

I'm not sure that the book is correct. I wrote a transaction processing system (released on 1993 as Velocis Database Server, now called Birdstep RDM Server) which performs redo operations just prior to undo operations. I can assure you that in practice it works.

If transactions have maintained proper Isolation (the "I" in ACID) from one another, then the order of redo/undo should be irrelevant. Implementation specifics may dictate the order, but the transaction recovery concept does not.