Re: c.d.theory glossary - proposed preamble

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:45:22 +0200

How about this:

Preamble:

This glossary aims to limit lengthy misunderstandings in comp.database.theory.

People assume that words mean what they are accustomed to, and take for granted that the other posters have about the same connotations. They don't always.
Some words are particularly suspect: database, class, normalisation. Some just cause minor annoyances, the misunderstanding is cleared and the discussion goes on: domain, type, transaction.

We don't know well-accepted, formal or comprehensive definitions for everything. If you do have a useful reference, please provide it.

If an informal description is all we have, so be it.

The glossary is not meant as a dictionary or encyclopedia, such as FOLDOC, Wikipedia (http://www.wikipedia.org), and the Web Dictionary of Cybernetics and Systems.

Specific links to serve the glossary's purpose are welcome, of course.

Note to native english speakers: please also check spelling and grammar mistaeks. :-) Received on Sun Apr 18 2004 - 06:45:22 CDT