Re: Oracle and PICK

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:29:33 -0400

> in my experience, at times the relational model has been more appropriate
> and held a lower TCO than the MV (MultiValue or "Pick") model. In most
obviously have their
> place and, when utilized to the advantages and strengths of each, they
have
> and will continue to work well and will provide a low TCO. In some
> instances, the relational model is appropriate. The same goes for the MV
> model.

Agreed.

As I said, market share is far from conclusive. And it's presumptuous to think, without further evidence, that either the ones who chose PICK or the ones who chose Oracle made a mistake. It sounds like, in some cases, you have the further evidence. But I'd generalize, and say that, in most cases, most customers know what they are doing.

I just object to the argument that Oracle's market success is irrelevant to the TCO of the product. Received on Sat Apr 17 2004 - 17:29:33 CDT