Re: What is a model?

From: mAsterdam <>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:06:28 +0200

Laconic2 wrote:

> "A model is a metaphor". This is a good metaphor for what a model is. But
> it isn't a very good model of a model.
> I recently ran across this definition of a model, and I'm in the process of
> digesting it to see if it helps me or not.
There we find:

a set of propositions or equations describing in simplified form some aspects of our experience. Every model is based upon a theory, but the theory may not be stated in concise form. (Umpleby)

Unfortunately the link is stale

This makes every database a model.
That is, the database *including* all data. In a RDM database only the relation headings are considered to constitute the data-model, though all real life databases I know started with some tables already populated.

2 Ec again :-) Received on Sat Apr 17 2004 - 20:06:28 CEST

Original text of this message