c.d.theory glossary

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 23:08:47 +0200

Here is a start.

Glossary 0.0.0:
april 17, 2004
			"Rows by any other name would smell as sweat"
			 - Laconic2

[Class]

A class is what provides a name and a place for the abstract behavior of a set of objects said to belong to the class. (Larry Wall, Apocalypse 12)

[Database]

1. Deluxe filesystem
2. Shared databank (E. Codd)

[Entity]

Thing of interest. (ISO)

[Function]

A binary mathematical relation with at most one b for each a in (a,b). A many-to-one relation of ordered pairs that maps each a to a unique b. It is important to note that every function is, by definition, a relation.

[MultiValue, MV]

1. One name for the industry surrounding the Nelson-Pick data model.

2. A data field (or attribute) defined to permit a variable number of values as a list (array).

[Object]

1. Something intelligible or perceptible by the mind. 2. Model of an entity, characterised by behaviour and state. (ISO)

[[ToDo]]:

Domain
Normalize
NULL
Persistence
Relation
Type

[[Maybe Todo]]

Necessary? Though obviously possible,
I haven't seen misunderstandings regarding these:

Formal Theory
XML

Thank you for contributing,

HTH P.S. 1
If it is appreciated, I'll post the glossary once in a while.

P.S. 2
Should I include credits? Received on Sat Apr 17 2004 - 16:08:47 CDT