Re: Oracle and PICK

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 12:25:16 -0400

The point is, IMO, that you can project a three dimensional relation (or, maybe a third order relation) onto a two dimensional space (rows, columns) without loss.

If it weren't for the capacity of two dimensional tables to capture and retrieve data that might be three dimensional or beyond, a star schema would be impossible.

In other words, the table has only two dimensions, but the relation is of order 3, and therefore can list a (finite) set of points in a three dimensional space.

Mathematical relations are not limited to finite cardinality, but I'm putting that limitation on the relations in the relational data model. Now that I think of it, is this a legitimate limitiation or not? Your thoughts.

Clear as mud? Received on Sat Apr 17 2004 - 11:25:16 CDT