Re: Date's First Great Blunder

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:11:28 GMT

On 15 Apr 2004 13:44:06 -0700, lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com (Lauri Pietarinen) wrote:

>alfredo_at_ncs.es (Alfredo Novoa) wrote in message news:<407e7ff8.7916112_at_news.wanadoo.es>...
>
>> Type is a word with a long pedigree and a lot more precise than class.
>> By the way, strictly speaking, domain is not exactly the same as type.
>> A domain is a type minus the operators.
>
>I would suggest that operators are not necessarily part of the type
>definition.

Then they are part of what?

> At least there are operators that could belong to many
>types, such as
>speed(distance, time).

Agreed, but what is the problem?

An operator could be part of several type definitions.

IMHO Tutorial D type definitions are actually domain definitions because they don't include the operators (and it is a good thing).

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Sat Apr 17 2004 - 15:11:28 CEST

Original text of this message