Re: The "standard" way to get to 3NF

From: Dan <guntermannxxx_at_verizon.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:12:09 GMT

"Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message news:dBBfc.72339$xu1.4779068_at_phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> Dan wrote:
> >
> > Date in his *Intro* textbook also demonstrates finding minimal cover
> > using Armstrong's axioms (versus the algorithm), correct?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "versus the algorithm", or do you mean
> "for the algorithm"? He does indeed use the the concept of minimal cover
> and calls it an irreducible cover, and uses it to present the algorithm
> for getting to 3NF in one step.
>
> -- Jan Hidders

Ahh, well it's been many years now since my most thorough read of the 7th edition. I did not recall seeing this algorithm in chapter 10 on functional dependencies, but if I would have done exercise 11.3 and then checked the answer, I would have found the algorithm predominantly displayed. :-)

Thanks. I learn something new every time.

Dan Received on Fri Apr 16 2004 - 00:12:09 CEST

Original text of this message