Re: Date's First Great Blunder

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:17:03 +0200

Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:

> Alfredo Novoa wrote:

>> Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:
>>
>>>...Mathematical models are simply models/metaphores.
>>They are formal representations.

> Yes, formal representations of a metaphore for whatever in the "real world"
> they are applied to
>
>>>The discipline of "doing" relational theory
>>>could be seen as mathematics, but the application of this
>>>mathematics to the discipline of application software
>>>development has to do with a belief that this mathematical model
>>>has something to do with the engineering effort underway.
>>
>>It should not have relationship with beliefs. It is proven that it is
>>simpler than the known alternatives.

> Simpler to human beings? Simpler to computers? Simpler to work with
> mathematically? This is a RELIGIOUS BELIEF that if you take the simplest
> mathematical model (aka metaphor) for something, then that is the best. I
> could use a point as a mathematical model for God or use a more complicated
> model of a triangle. I prefer the triangle metaphor because it is helpful
> for describing a trinitarian view of God. A point is surely simpler than a
> triangle, however. That doesn't mean it is the best metaphor to choose.

Yup. Unfortunately some of these religions are so secretive that even the believers don't all know that they are. I am sure I have some (a lot - who knows?) of those beliefs. One of my unfounded beliefs I *am* aware of is that if people try to understand and respect eachother, they will.

[snipalot]

> That's really a matter of defining terms. ...

How about a c.d.theory glossary ? Received on Thu Apr 15 2004 - 21:17:03 CEST

Original text of this message