Re: Pizza Example

From: Dan <guntermann_at_verizon.net>
Date: 14 Apr 2004 20:14:33 -0700

Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message news:<l5ifc.71570$MG1.4809827_at_phobos.telenet-ops.be>...
> Eric Kaun wrote:
> > "Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message
> >>
> >>So, one would expect that the NEST and UNNEST operators of the nested
> >>relational algebra would not be allowed, wouldn't one?
> >
> > Do you mean GROUP? As far as I know, those are merely shorthand, not
> > something new.
>
> ?? Are you saying that the GROUP / UNGROUP operators, as Date calls
> them, can be expressed with the operators of the flat relational algebra?

I believe these types of operators wouldn't conform to the rules of constructing well-formed formulas as well, which of course impacts FOL-based queries. In predicate calculus, the construction of a wff using a form G(P(x),...) is not allowed. I haven't had a chance to think much in terms of what the implications would be exactly however.  Perhaps you know.

  • Dan