Re: Objects and messages

From: D Guntermann <guntermann_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:13:44 GMT

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message news:407d5fff.14133012_at_news.wanadoo.es...
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:54:37 -0400, "Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >The descriptions of the object oriented approach often begin with two
basic
> >concepts: objects and messages.
> >
> >At some point we are told that everything is an object.
> >
> >This raises two questions:
> >
> >Is a message an object?
> >
> >Is an object a message?
>
> No, a message is an operator invocation.

Couldn't an operator invocation be considered a mechanism for either generating or consuming messages (a message is a conceptual object that conveys some measure of informational value, yes?)? This reminds me of the inconsistency in defining the difference between an entity and a relationship with ER modeling.