Re: newby (very) question on XML DB theory

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:35:29 -0500

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:ZaidnYT4ptOgxeDdRVn-vw_at_comcast.com...

> > Yes, but have you seen any industry standards for query GUI's? --dawn
>
> No, and that's the whole point. If you share persistent data, and you
don't
> have standards, you get an unrecognizable mess.
>
> If you impose rigid standards on data as presented to the user, you
> prevent the user from "doing whatever the user wants".
>
> I wish there could be user interface that would make the data "look like"
> PICK data to you, while the real underlying data is actually in 1NF, and
> maybe more. Or how about a PICK with an SQL interface?

I've "done" both and I'm thankful that with "XML data model" languages (no need to correct me on that) on the horizon, there will be no need to take the non-1NF data and translate it to 1NF for any purposes. I have a few issues with various web services standards (so don't get me started) but I sure appreciate that we don't have to 1NF the data anywhere in the rocess. --dawn Received on Wed Apr 14 2004 - 17:35:29 CEST

Original text of this message