Re: Another Pizza Question

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:47:29 -0500

"Timothy J. Bruce" <uniblab_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ch1fc.996$17.90350_at_news1.epix.net...

> > I apologize if I unintentionally set a bear trap for you.
> `unintentionally'?
> This drivel has `trolling for morons' written all over it...
>
> > I thought everybody would recognize this question as, "if there are
> several
> > toppings on a pizza are they a set or a list?"
> ...Only a moron would think tuple-order and attribute-order matter...

When lacking a logical argument, resort to name-calling, Mr. Bruce?

Perhaps you don't prefer logic, but I'll give it one more shot 'cause I like this example better:

The Beatles were John, George, Paul, and Ringo Pete Best became a Beatle in 1960

Is it relevant that these are in two different propositions? Is the ordering of the names of the Beatles relevant (and if you suggest that it is not relevant that Ringo is last, then I'll figure it is a losing proposition, so to speak). I'd suggest that once you normalize this data and ignore the ordering (cause it isn't so important data-wise, right?) that you will have pickled this cucumber and will have lost the cucumber in the process (unpickling is not an option). I think the more valid argument is that we only cared about having a pickle in the first place and being able to retrieve the cucumber gives us no added advantage in meeting our goals (although I'd still say that if we can keep such possibly extraneous information without losing our goals, so much the better).

> > The PICK example shows them as a list. But is that inherent in
> toppings,
> > or is that just the way PICK works?
> ...ahh, but I repeat myself.
>
> Yes I have used PickBasic professionally and No I don't recomend it for
> the mentally infirm,

Ah, but we are talking about the data model and not a 3GL.