Re: Pizza Example

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:38:36 GMT

Eric Kaun wrote:

> [...] By nesting values inside values (and then
> a further layer inside that, I believe), you complicate the algebras,
> closure, and optimizations. Relational is much simpler, hence its power.

That's funny. I somehow remember Date and Darwen proposing a relational model where you could have tuples containing sets that contained tuples .. et cetera. The horror! The heresy!! In fact, the whole 1NF thing seemed to have gone up in smoke, somehow. It still gives me the creeps when I think about it, every now and then ... Surely, that must have been a bad dream, right?