Re: Normalization by Composing, not just Decomposing

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:39:05 -0400

Alan,

I once built a star schema to validate a powerplay cube

(by providing an alternate route for the data from the OLTP system into the cube.)

Here's what I didn't expect: it took less time top copy the data from the OLTP system to the star schema, and then from the star schema into the cube than it took to load the cube directly from the OLTP data. I don't know whether that was just a fluke or was to be expected.

Interesting discussion you are having concerning dimensional modeling, relational modeling and star schemas.

I think of a star schema as a projection of a dimensional model into the world of tables, columns etc. I don't think of a star schema as having been particularly derived from a relational model. Received on Tue Apr 13 2004 - 16:39:05 CEST

Original text of this message