Re: Proper siblings sorting in nested sets model

From: Pavel Schevaev <>
Date: 13 Apr 2004 01:13:40 -0700

"Mikito Harakiri" <> wrote in message news:<j2zec.2$>...
> The output of 100K records is slow anyway. Therefore you might not want to
> transfer all 100 nodes to the client. Therefore, natural solution is
> displaying a tree in user-friendly mode with collapsed branches (so that
> most of the nodes are hidden). Filtering out those collapsed nodes is the
> task that you perform on server before sorting. The client-server protocol
> might look like this:
> begin
> client to server: "give me all nodes on level 1 sorted, mark those nodes
> that have children"
> client makes list of these nodes
> user clicks to expand node #3
> client adds the node #3 to the list
> client to server: "give me all nodes on the list hierarchically sorted, mark
> those nodes that have children"

Yes it might look like this if we used 'heavy' client software, like java applets. But we use php on the server side and a plain browser on the client, so it's just impossible(actually possible to retrieve the whole tree limited with collapsed & expanded nodes and this is our way, you can see it here, requires login 'demo', password 'demo').

Well some exploring of mysql showed me impossibility of dynamic concatenating sorting attributes, so i'll throw the whole idea of proper database siblings sorting for a while.... Received on Tue Apr 13 2004 - 10:13:40 CEST

Original text of this message