Re: Proper siblings sorting in nested sets model

From: Pavel Schevaev <pacha_shevaev_at_mail.ru>
Date: 13 Apr 2004 01:13:40 -0700

"Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com> wrote in message news:<j2zec.2$MO6.137_at_news.oracle.com>...
> The output of 100K records is slow anyway. Therefore you might not want to
> transfer all 100 nodes to the client. Therefore, natural solution is
> displaying a tree in user-friendly mode with collapsed branches (so that
> most of the nodes are hidden). Filtering out those collapsed nodes is the
> task that you perform on server before sorting. The client-server protocol
> might look like this:
>
> begin
> client to server: "give me all nodes on level 1 sorted, mark those nodes
> that have children"
> client makes list of these nodes
> user clicks to expand node #3
> client adds the node #3 to the list
> client to server: "give me all nodes on the list hierarchically sorted, mark
> those nodes that have children"

Yes it might look like this if we used 'heavy' client software, like java applets. But we use php on the server side and a plain browser on the client, so it's just impossible(actually possible to retrieve the whole tree limited with collapsed & expanded nodes and this is our way, you can see it here
http://demo.0x00.ru/root/admin/site_structure, requires login 'demo', password 'demo').

Well some exploring of mysql showed me impossibility of dynamic concatenating sorting attributes, so i'll throw the whole idea of proper database siblings sorting for a while.... Received on Tue Apr 13 2004 - 10:13:40 CEST

Original text of this message