Re: Normalization by Composing, not just Decomposing

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:09:58 -0400

It's easier to form desired sets if you start with 1NF. That's why Codd described 1NF as "normal form".
By "easier" I don't mean fewer machine cycles. I mean conceptually easier.

Thinking in terms of sets is basic to relational transforms of data.

It's easy to turn a body of data in 1NF into a hierarachical report. Even the Datatrieve report writer would do that, way back before there were any relational DBMS products on the VAX! Received on Tue Apr 13 2004 - 07:09:58 CDT