Re: Normalization by Composing, not just Decomposing

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:57:04 -0400

Eric,

I am sure that what I wrote could be worded much better, but I'm going to plead not guilty to word molestation. Next thing, you'll want a law requiring pedants to register with the local police.

I hesitate to try to fix up the wording, becasue I don't know if the missed communication between you and me is solely a matter of word choice.

Let me try just the beginning,

A body of data is made up of data items. Each data item expresses a value. Each data item also specifies the state of an instance of an attribute.

It's unfortunate that the word "attribute" is used in both relational modeling and ER modeling. I think both uses of the word are fair, but they sometimes confuse the issue. Received on Tue Apr 13 2004 - 06:57:04 CDT