Re: newby (very) question on XML DB theory

From: ccc31807 <ccc31807_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 Apr 2004 11:20:07 -0700

"Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<%Jkac.1359$C_2.1054_at_newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>...
> What is the meaning of "mark up", and why would one want to do it? What is
> the difference between "marking up" and actually defining your data in some
> rigorous way? I assume you're talking about marking up TEXT, rather than
> data.

In this case, the data is all text (ASCII or ISO-8859-1). The data will mostly be searched. That is, it will be updated very seldom. The results of searches need to be displayed via HTTP. In this case, it just makes sense to create a little application that can search the documents using XPath, and use CSS to display the resulting data.

We can assume that the datums will look something like this:

<course no="CPSC101" credit="3" hours="3" lab="4">

   <title>Introduction to Programming Logic</title>
   <prerequisite>none</prerequisite>
   <description>Whatever the description is ... </description>
</course>

CC Received on Thu Apr 08 2004 - 20:20:07 CEST

Original text of this message