Re: Order & meaning in a proposition

From: Anthony W. Youngman <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:40:19 +0100

In message <3cs5701a7v0onhm11khmcjf154qakn6vk6_at_4ax.com>, Lemming <thiswillbounce_at_bumblbee.demon.co.uk> writes
>>- it is not just when we model it, but depending on how we
>>model it -- we can lose more with one model than another. Data models are
>>important for being able to apply predicate logic for querying the data, for
>>example. But a data model that captures the ordering of compound nouns in a
>>proposition retains more information (even if not obviously more data) than
>>one that randomly orders the nouns.
>
>I'm curious what modelling methods retain sufficient information that
>such nuances are captured in the final model. Do any such methods
>exist?

Probably many that aren't based on set theory.

Set theory by its very nature does not possess a concept of order. If I'm right, it doesn't possess a concept of uniqueness either, does it? (In that uniqueness is a requirement and duplicates are impossible, therefore uniqueness is a "meaningless" concept as there is nothing to contrast it with...)

Cheers,
Wol

as Lies-to-People.