Re: Pizza Example

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 21:59:38 GMT

Eric Kaun wrote:
> "Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message
>

>>Eric Kaun wrote:
>>
>>>I'm certainly willing to entertain language notions - I just haven't

> heard
>
>>>anything concrete enough to serve as the basis for a data model. Loose
>>>correspondence to English is, in my opinion, not a good metric.
>>
>>Did you ever look at the philosophy behind ORM (Object-Role Modelling)?
>>Or the philosophy behind predicate logic, for that matter?

> No, can't say I have in any specific way. Pointers/links?

For ORM see http://www.orm.net and as an introcution perhaps http://www.orm.net/pdf/ORMwhitePaper.pdf

For predicate logic you can always read Frege's Begriffsschrift. :-) Sorry, only kidding. Can't think of a good reference right now.

The point is that all these *are* in fact based upon a correspondance to language. In some sense that was what the great discovery by Aristotle was: the fact that you can sometimes reason on the basis of only the *form* of statements. Hence Formal logic.