Re: Date of Birth as an attribute

From: Alan <alan_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:13:38 -0400

Yes, there is the conceptual/logical/physical paradigm, but it sometimes gets fuzzy as various terms seem to be used differently by different people-Some use logical to mean conceptual, and then use physical to mean logical because, i suppose, the logical usually gets mapped one-to-one to physical. In any event, the re-location of the attribute happens during normalization, which is the conversion from conceptual to logical. Logical to physical in the three paradigm construction is "just" the implementation of the logical design.

In any event, I agree that the extra step buys you something, even if only a bit of clarity in process. Great pun, BTW!