Re: Pizza Example

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 08:32:17 -0500

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:Zu6dnaUbd6g7Ze7dRVn-sQ_at_comcast.com...
> This is a very interesting discussion.
>
> Codd developed normal forms in the context of the rest of the work he was
> doing. First normal form seemed like a good idea at the time. Making
each
> normal form defined in terms of the prior normal form was just a
> mathemetician's idea of KISS ("reduce it to a problem already solved").
>
> Perhaps what would be useful would be a theory of normalization that
> formalizes the way PICK developers model data, the way the relational
> normal forms formalize some of relational modeling. It doesn't have to
> start with the same axioms as relational normalization. And if it doesn't
> make sense to make each normal form prerequire the earlier forms, then
> don't.
>

> Is there such a theory?

I have asked around and it seems there hasn't been such a theory, so I have been working to gain enough background to do such a write-up. There are some unstated rules in PICK as to when you would NOT split out data from one table and put it in another, while normalization tends to focus on when to split things up (I know, I know, that is not entirely true). I'm not spending enough time on it right now to have it in any shape to present, but hope to down the road.

--dawn Received on Wed Apr 07 2004 - 15:32:17 CEST

Original text of this message