Re: Order & meaning in a proposition

From: Eric Kaun <ekaun_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 12:35:59 GMT

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:c4v58i$900$1_at_news.netins.net...
> "Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > And I'm curious about the distinction you make between information and
> data.
>
> One gets much more information from a face to face chat with a person than
> they get data, right? For example, there is at least all of the
non-verbal
> information. Similarly, there is often more information in a sentence than
> would end up in a data model of that sentence.

True, but since we're unable (and unwilling) to capture every bit of information about everything, we have to decide. To structure data, it must BE data, which means decomposition - if you don't decompose, then you're addressing the ball of mud as a ball of mud, not as many molecules of mud along with twigs and pebbles and such.

> Words get changed to "codes"
> so they are consistent, ordering is ignored, etc when we capture data from
> proposition.

Proposition has a double meaning here. There are external propositions, which we as system builders have to translate into internal ones. But not every external proposition has meaning - at least not meaning we care about in the system.

> Even if this is the bulk of the information in a proposition,
> there is more subtle information that might be deemed way too unimportant
> be captured as data, but is information none-the-less.

So if it's unimportant, why consider it?

> Make sense? --dawn

Yup!

  • erk