Re: Pizza Example

From: ben brugman <ben_at_niethier.nl>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 22:06:17 +0200

> I see no logic in this. The database need not constrain the size of data
> that is stored and the UI can either constrain it or not, as the
> designer/user see fit. Constraining the database to only store up to a
> particular length means that the database needs to be changed if a new
valid
> value for an attribute arises that is longer than what was anticipated.
The
> UI can permit scrolling to show only a limited number of characters, but
> scroll to show all. A report writer can wrap long values to a certain
width

The value of constraining the length of a field in a database (R or not R) is
that all applications should work with this length and do not need to work with a length above it.
Having sensible length's for fields does not hamper using 'normal' names for things and makes building an application simpler and more sturdy.
The width of a screen is limited, so is the height and allthough some applications now use a screen larger than 80x25, all databases designed during that time still function on larger screens.

If larger fields are allowed, how do we present the contents of those fields on a limited screen. (Or on paper, say a pasport for example).

For a lot of products (like medication for example) there are three fields one with a very short name, a normal name and a long name. But the long name still has to fit in/on certain places. The short names should fit on small stickers for packeging etc. The middle name is the name normally used. The long name is the full name but still limited.

Most humans can not handle names of a length longer than say 30/40/50 characters.

Having sensible constraints is sensible.

ben brugman Received on Mon Apr 05 2004 - 22:06:17 CEST

Original text of this message