Re: Pizza Example

From: rkc <rkc_at_yabba.dabba.do.rochester.rr.bomb>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:36:15 GMT

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:c4p5td$sck$1_at_news.netins.net...
> "rkc" <rkc_at_yabba.dabba.do.rochester.rr.bomb> wrote in message

<snip>

> > Really? What would that table look like? A spreadsheet?
>
> Yes, all of my attempts to look at this through the eyes of an RDBMS
mindset
> lead to bunches of "spreadsheets" -- that's the idea, right? The model
that
> I "think with" isn't in spreadsheet format, but I can pretty much model it
> directly in XML or PICK given that I am not constrained to spreadsheets.
Am
> I missing your point?

My point is that table would have rows with the multivalued columns spread out into multiple columns.

This
Pizza Size Crust Sauce1 Sauce2 Sauce3 Topping1 Topping2 Topping3

In place of this
Pizza Size Crust Sauce1 Topping1

                         Sauce2  Topping2
                         Sauce3  Topping3

That model is obviously limited.

<snip>

> If I make it explicit in the spec that there are items that don't have a
> size or crust, would you still drag the "Size" and "Crust" attributes
along
> with them with NULL values there or would you further normalize this then?
> If so, how?

I don't know now. Are you going to want to track the number of sesame seeds on the sesame seed buns? The ingrediants in the special sauce? Received on Sun Apr 04 2004 - 20:36:15 CEST

Original text of this message