Re: Pizza Example

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 22:18:32 -0600

"rkc" <rkc_at_yabba.dabba.do.rochester.rr.bomb> wrote in message news:QtLbc.26194$nr4.17312_at_twister.nyroc.rr.com...

> "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message
> > I'll try to see if I can get the essense of the display of data in the
> pizza
> > example to be clearer by removing the first few columns so it doesn't
> wrap.
> > I hope this displays better. Thanks. --dawn
> >
> > Size....Crust.......Sauce.....Cheese.........Topping
> > 16" Chicago Tomato Mozzarella Pepperoni
> > Feta Black Olives
> > Parmesan
>

> Start with your desired 'display' and apply the rules of normalization.
> You seem to bright to not understand that, so you must be trying to
> make some other point.

Ah, so not all readers of the list have Bob B's opinion, eh? Actually, it is neither a) that I don't know how to perform a strict normalization process on the data as I have written it nor b) that I'm trying to make another point here.

It is that I suspect that someone who thinks in terms of normalized data would not think about the problem domain in the same way. For example, perhaps someone would decide that the number of combinations was a relatively small finite number at this point in time and for the foreseeable future and might make a table of all possible combinations of pizzas with a generated candidate key. Then that would be placed as a foreign key in the ORDER_ITEM table. I'm sure there are other possibilities too. I'm guessing that it would be the rare RDBMS DBA that would actually implement a strictly normalized version of the data described in my example, but I could be wrong about that.

So, you are right, I'm not simply asking for this data to be normalized, but for it to be understood so that a relational database implementation way of thinking is presented. I was going to simply use this as an example of the difference between how an XML/PICK model of the data would look compared to a relational model and when I normalized the data, I looked at it and thought that it was unlikely that anyone would actually implement it that way. So, how would you do it?

Smiles! --dawn Received on Sat Apr 03 2004 - 22:18:32 CST