Re: Any new thoughts on OTLT (One True Lookup Table)

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:19:48 -0500

"ben brugman" <ben_at_niethier.nl> wrote in message news:4067f586$0$6566$4d4ebb8e_at_read.news.nl.uu.net...

> And there are loads of databases designed to hold information
> and codes, where the codes and the codetypes where not
> available on design time. For example a shop (often a webshop)
> runs on a database with an application where the database and
> application (and the programmers behind it) where at design time
> not familiar with the product, their attributes and the codes.
> Specifically because at design time it was stated that the shop's
> database must be able to hold information about products which
> did not exist at design time.

I don't want to twist your words. It sounds like you're saying that often design and implementation must charge ahead without waiting for an in depth analysis, that the subject matter is still poorly understood by the time the solution has been commited to a single design. Is this a fair rendering of what you are saying?

What kind of methodology to you use to acheive such agility?

The reason I ask is because I've seen a large number of projects that started out this way, only to end up as death marches. Received on Wed Mar 31 2004 - 05:19:48 CEST

Original text of this message