Re: Xquery might have some things right

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn_at_garlic.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 21:48:39 -0700

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org> writes:
> The oral history I have heard from various people that have been
> watching SGML since its beginnings have indicated this.

SGML was standardization of GML done at the cambridge science center circa 1970 by "G", "M", "L" (the choice of generalized markup language comes from the intials of the three people that work on it). GML processes added to the existing implementation of the CMS SCRIPT command (i.e. cambridge monitor system ... also done at the cambridge science center).

misc. past posts about (s)gml history:

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000e.html#1 What good and old text formatter are there ?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001i.html#1 History of Microsoft Word (and wordprocessing in general)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002h.html#17 disk write caching (was: ibm icecube -- return of
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002o.html#4 Mainframe Spreadsheets - 1980's History
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002o.html#54 XML, AI, Cyc, psych, and literature
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002o.html#78 Newsgroup cliques?

At least "L" went on to work on RDBMS BLOBs ... towards the end of the System/R (possibly transition to R-star?) .. there were half dozen or so of use that transferred out of cambridge to san jose about the same time.

some specifics about the gml history

http://www.sgmlsource.com/history/
http://www.sgmlsource.com/history/roots.htm
http://www.sgmlsource.com/history/jasis.htm