Re: Xquery might have some things right

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 29 Mar 2004 04:09:29 GMT

Quoth Leandro Dutra <ldutra_at_wlt.com.br>:
> Christopher Browne wrote:
>> SGML,
>> which was a text parsing system designed by people that didn't want
>> to understand the theory of language parsers.
>
> Any references to this? Now you got me interested...

Hmmm. The "best" one I can see is thus...

  <http://naggum.no/erik/sgml/against.html>

The oral history I have heard from various people that have been watching SGML since its beginnings have indicated this.

The way they bodged in the notion of "document architectures" was a good example of the trouble with it. Actually trying to _use_ architectures for other than trivial things was pretty much beyond human reason.

The breakage was particularly found when they tried defining "HyTime," a model for hypermedia documents that would have to include component documents.

The problem the designers ran into was that while HyTime had to be an SGML application, they could not define a DTD for it.

And that's essentially where it all fell down. They couldn't build HyTime the way they needed to. I expect that's what drove Naggum out of his research work on SGML...

--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/internet.html